Saturday, February 20, 2010

Requiem for a Snowman


Growing up in a rural area, my parents had the opportunity to flirt with the farmer's life a bit. From time to time we maintained a garden and owned the occasional goat or cow. An important lesson from that time period was not to name your livestock, because it creates an attachment that makes eating or selling said livestock harder at a later date.

Nobody ever told me that you shouldn't name a snowman. Poor Bernard. Silly to be so sad about losing him, but working from home gets lonely. It was nice to be able to open the blinds and see him staring at me from the balcony.

Working from home has its advantages. I get to keep my job, my insurance, and my tenure. I don't have to deal with the hassle of finding a new occupation in an unstable economy. I was able to move to DC without feeling like I had given up my entire existence.

There is another side to this coin, though. I am at home more often than not. When TJ wants to stay in and relax, I'm antsy and eager to get out of the house. By keeping my current job, I maintain contact with my old friends and coworkers but do not have the opportunity to find new ones that I can actually interact with socially. Not having to commute is preventing me from learning the lay of this new land.

And did I mention that the isolation is causing me to talk to snowmen?

1 comment:

  1. NOoooooo!!!! So cute though. Bye Bernard.. Until next winter.. Oh wait, Tj and Aaron won't be here to build you.. Looks like it's my responsibility now.

    ReplyDelete